Close

    • First 160+ trap McLaren 720S - Dyno Spectrum tuned M840T sets fastest platform record with 9.054@160.54 1/4 mile pass

      Dyno Spectrum just set a new fastest record on the McLaren 720S M840T V8 platform with a 160.54 mile per hour pass in the 1/4 mile. As a reminder, this tops the former record of 159.55 set by a Labworx tuned example that was the first to break into the 8's.


      It is important to note this new record was set on the factory 720S turbochargers but with nitrous. How much nitrous? We don't know but it sure seems like quite a bit. Dyno Spectrum won't tell us

      This is a car running in high elevation in Colorado:


      Congratulations to all involved on the new record and the first 160.X trap:


      This article was originally published in forum thread: First 160+ trap McLaren 720S - Dyno Spectrum tuned M840T sets fastest platform record with 9.054@160.54 1/4 mile pass started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        8.37@172.94mph DA corrected

        Thatís insane
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        8.37@172.94mph DA corrected

        Thatís insane
        Its not that simple when you're factoring in big boost and nitrous.... If the turbos can compensate for thin air and the car is limited by another weak link the chain the DA difference can be almost negligible.

        Regardless, excellent time and trap. I don't know what the 'true' street car record is at Bandimere, but this has to be close to it.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        My kidney is for sale.
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Wow.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        My kidney is for sale.
        The GT is coming with the same motor and trans for a lot less money...
      1. Mitch@Dyno Spectrum's Avatar
        Mitch@Dyno Spectrum -
        Thanks for the post @Sticky!

        -Mitch
      1. Mitch@Dyno Spectrum's Avatar
        Mitch@Dyno Spectrum -
        And to say how much nitrous--the technical term is a $#@! load.

        Click here to enlarge

        Mitch
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mitch@Dyno Spectrum Click here to enlarge
        And to say how much nitrous--the technical term is a $#@! load.

        Click here to enlarge

        Mitch
        Love this LOL. Keep up the good work guys!
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Its not that simple when you're factoring in big boost and nitrous.... If the turbos can compensate for thin air and the car is limited by another weak link the chain the DA difference can be almost negligible.

        Regardless, excellent time and trap. I don't know what the 'true' street car record is at Bandimere, but this has to be close to it.
        Good point of course. Those calculator estimated results should always be taken with a grain of salt. I was posting more to show just how much of a disadvantage it is to run at Bandimere for most cars. With this car however, you might even say that the thin air gave an aero advantage. Itís not immaterial.

        Would love to to see it run at sea level on a track with better prep.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        Good point of course. Those calculator estimated results should always be taken with a grain of salt. I was posting more to show just how much of a disadvantage it is to run at Bandimere for most cars. With this car however, you might even say that the thin air gave an aero advantage. It’s not immaterial.

        Would love to to see it run at sea level on a track with better prep.
        Bandimere is my 'home track' and has broken my heart plenty of times. Everyone is all smiles when the DA is sub 6,500' Click here to enlarge , but it is fun to know that even the fastest NA cars will be sub 120mph when you line up next to one.

        I won't be doing it, but this post did make me put some thought into nitrous. The nice thing about it is that a 250hp shot at sea-level is still a 250hp shot up here. Yup, when you're going into the back half at 125mph the thin-air probably does make a material difference.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Bandimere is my 'home track' and has broken my heart plenty of times. Everyone is all smiles when the DA is sub 6,500' Click here to enlarge , but it is fun to know that even the fastest NA cars will be sub 120mph when you line up next to one.

        I won't be doing it, but this post did make me put some thought into nitrous. The nice thing about it is that a 250hp shot at sea-level is still a 250hp shot up here. Yup, when you're going into the back half at 125mph the thin-air probably does make a material difference.
        Why not have a nitrous map? Hell I'm tempted to just because I'm sick of these ATCO people running their mouths.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Why not have a nitrous map? Hell I'm tempted to just because I'm sick of these ATCO people running their mouths.
        I'm getting pretty close to the torque limit for the stock rods in my car... It would be a delicate balance of feathering nitrous in as boost tapers and that doesn't sound fun. It would be easy enough with a window switch and boost activated switch, but result in a really whacky torque curve. Beyond that, I'm already running wmi and 100 octane/e85 blend through a map that is only semi-custom on the stock ecu and that is just far too many variables for its crappy data logging capabilities.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        I'm getting pretty close to the torque limit for the stock rods in my car... It would be a delicate balance of feathering nitrous in as boost tapers and that doesn't sound fun. It would be easy enough with a window switch and boost activated switch, but result in a really whacky torque curve. Beyond that, I'm already running wmi and 100 octane/e85 blend through a map that is only semi-custom on the stock ecu and that is just far too many variables for its crappy data logging capabilities.
        Why are you still on stock rods?
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Why are you still on stock rods?
        Turbo is maxed and fuel system is maxed. I'm at the limit of the easy to get to power... Next step would have to be a full frame turbo kit, port injection, build the motor, etc. If I'm spending that kind of money Id rather put it into a new platform. I think the macan is going to be traded for something more rugged soon and I might look to trade the ttrs in for something new next summer. It's pretty well setup as it sits so I'll just enjoy it until I get that bug.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Same mclaren just went 193 in the 1/2 at Pikes Peak.

        Live stream for those interested:
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Turbo is maxed and fuel system is maxed. I'm at the limit of the easy to get to power... Next step would have to be a full frame turbo kit, port injection, build the motor, etc. If I'm spending that kind of money Id rather put it into a new platform. I think the macan is going to be traded for something more rugged soon and I might look to trade the ttrs in for something new next summer. It's pretty well setup as it sits so I'll just enjoy it until I get that bug.
        Makes sense. I'm debating between building the motor and going all out with bigger turbos or just leaving the Porsche where it is and going the McLaren route.